To You has been awarded for its subversive design, and was shortlisted for the prestigious Interaction Award at Communication Arts.
Apart from being purchased by global individual collectors, it is housed in some of the oldest libraries in Europe, and renowned Universities in the USA.
Tweet by artist-scholar and researcher in Digital Literature & Interactive Storytelling, Richard Carter.
Somehow you already feel a personal connection. Pressing your hand to the black pages, your body heat creates a flare of white appearing between the web of your fingers, and you feel as though secrets are being shared in the dark. You see the object you are holding take the impression of your own body, and yet you see only windows onto the words below. Like a lover, there is great intimacy of a hand pressing the page, and yet the text underneath retains its enigma.
Zoe Heron (†) Comedian, Multimedia Performance Maker, and Academic
What’s fascinating about the overall experience of reading and touching, especially the aspect of covering and uncovering or unraveling thoughts through this type of interaction; and the way the book is put together, in concertina form, is the possibility to connect with the more ‘irrational’ aspects of being human. The moment I pressed my hands onto its dark pages, was also a moment of paying attention to the flow of emotions inside of me: the content becomes transparent from my own warmth; emotionality that is sometimes frowned upon is suddenly allowed. These seize to be dark by my own engagement with it as if reclaiming my own state of being. Like relationships, of any type, the book echoes the effort needed to sustain them so the book can almost feel comfortable to open up and talk to you.
Francesca Prandelli, Journalist
Tweets by Verity McIntosh, Senior Lecturer in Virtual and Extended Reality, UWE
PRESS & INTERVIEWS
- In-Touch Podcast: Touching to Read – ‘To You’, A book that can be read when warmed by human touch
- BBC Interview: The book that you can only read by touching
- The Bookseller: Can heat & touch-sensitive book ‘To You’ replicate touch?
- Print Monthly: The book that reveals itself through touch
- The Writing Platform: Please Touch This!
- Bristol 24/7: Bristol Artist releases book that can only be read when warmed by touch
- Kunst Zwischen, Deckeln Book Arts. International: Kitchen Paper & Body Heat (GERMAN)
- Book Arts Newsletter, No. 128 November 2019
- SkalaTimes: A book that feels (GREEK)